Unitus Ventures is hiring as we prepare to raise our third fund which will invest in exciting, important and emerging sectors in India’s startup ecosystem. We’re looking for a rockstar Investment Professional to join our team.
- Are you passionate about networking with entrepreneurs and finding the best, showing them we can add value well beyond the money, help fuel their growth and be a key part of their success story?
- Can you see around the corner before others see the opportunity? Unitus started investing in jobtech for the blue collar sector nearly 5 years ago, long before anyone else realized how tech would revolutionize hiring and managing millions of employees needed by India’s largest employers.
- Can you source and facilitate transformative business development opportunities, creating unexpected value for portfolio companies? Unitus’s team focuses on this every day, not just for scaling in India, but also in helping our portfolio look beyond domestic shores, tapping into the global Capria Network of which we’re a founding member.
If you have what it takes to be self-motivated and proactive in a small, laser-focused team and want to be on a path to a role of principal and ultimately partner, we want to meet you.
Deal Sourcing: Find the best entrepreneurs in early-stage ventures, using technology and business innovation to solve big problems for India
- Strong understanding of the investor and entrepreneur ecosystem in India.
- Create and continuously develop investment theses, source deals and build a strong pipeline across Unitus’ key sectors of investment.
- Become an expert in Unitus’s key sectors of interest through extensive research, deep domain and ecosystem relationships.
- Write thought leadership through articles and blog posts.
- Build new and maintain relationships across the various relevant stakeholder groups in the Indian startup ecosystem: entrepreneurs, downstream investors, upstream accelerators/incubators/angels, advisors and sector experts.
Due Diligence: Understand, evaluate and champion opportunities for investment, internally.
- Own and drive investment diligence: market research, speaking with industry experts/customers/potential partners/team, comprehensive financial modeling, build comparative theses across sectors/geographies, etc.
- Build conviction, lead evaluation, drive negotiations and help close exciting new investments.
- Prepare all necessary documents, articulate and present investments in a compelling manner to the investment committee to help drive the investment decision.
- Understand deal structures and terms clearly. Lead term sheet negotiations with companies.
- Work with fund managers from across the globe through the Capria Network, to learn, leverage and implement best practices.
Portfolio Management: Work with the firms’ Partners and be intimately involved in strategy, operations and governance issues. Work closely with and add value to entrepreneurs as they journey from early revenues through scale.
- Manage relationships with our portfolio companies.
- Closely monitor progress of portfolio companies and support to ensure superior performance against benchmarks and overall great business execution.
- Work closely with the portfolio companies and help them with business development, funding, planning, hiring, operations improvement, expansion, etc.
- Follow up with portfolio companies on a monthly/quarterly basis for MIS reports, completion of dashboards, financial statements, cash positions, impact data, etc. Proactively analyze and action based on data as the company executes.
Leadership: Be a part of the team defining the firm’s long term strategy, build thought leadership and strengthen the firm’s brand recall
- Exhibit a strong sense of ownership and drive, and motivate others to build something bigger and hugely impactful.
- Lead, mentor and develop team of analysts and fellows.
Relevant Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree; MBA or similar degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in venture capital, investment banking, start-ups, corporate innovation, and/or at a top-tier management consulting firm.
- Strong insider knowledge of the India market and the Indian startup ecosystem.
- Excellent commercial business acumen clubbed with strong financial analysis abilities.
- Evidence of ability to think creatively about business problems and opportunities.
- Excellent communication skills (oral & written.)
- Self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, always curious to learn, has a great eye for detail, is highly quality conscious and takes complete ownership or projects and work products.